Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Question About Donations

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question About Donations

    I have a quick question about the donation aspect of the Hostboard forum. If someone chooses to donate through the "Donate Now" function, is the donation strictly for the LPD Sports Forum, or is the donation spread all throughout Hostboard?

  2. #2
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question About Donations

    Pretty sure it's spread which is why I have yet to give a nickel. They pay for this already, why should hostboard get more? It's not like this is some great service they provide, they are more concerned that I can thank you in this thread than making sure this forum has all of the old boards back.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question About Donations

    I received a PM today, and it caught me off guard. Rock had never tried to solicit donations from us before, I was curios to know if the money went straight to cover the LPD costs or all of Hostboard's accounts.

    I wouldn't mind helping the LPD forum, but Im not covering hostboard's bills, sorry Steven.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question About Donations

    This would be a good question to post on the Help Desk boards and see what the response is. Steven may not read it here.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member UTVols2's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    5,601
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question About Donations

    I would be willing to help the LPD board as well even if it is somewhere else, just please get it back to normal.
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view/926256/tennessee-vols-al-wilson-o.gif[/IMG]

  6. #6
    Site Administrator Team Hostboard's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    997,453
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Question About Donations

    Quote Originally Posted by pvfan View Post
    Pretty sure it's spread which is why I have yet to give a nickel. They pay for this already, why should hostboard get more? It's not like this is some great service they provide, they are more concerned that I can thank you in this thread than making sure this forum has all of the old boards back.
    Ok, now that I have tried to reply to this post 10 times and have deleted it 10 times because it did not come across correctly so please do not take this the wrong way but I will spell it...

    1. We receive no compensation for hosting your forum at this time

    2. The "Thank You" modification was honestly 30 seconds worth of work. vBulletin owners have access to hundreds of modification that are pre-written for use. Also vBulletin uses a plugin system. So I uploaded a few files and imported an XML file (took more time to turn on my laptop).

    3. Hostboard is owned by 1 person, me. It takes hundreds of dollars to run this site per month. I do not allow advertising as of now and then only assistance received is by those that choose to donate. All donations go directly to hosting and development costs. I take the site very seriously and login dozens of times a day (I htink Brad can attest to the amount of time it takes me to reply to PMs). When we ported the site to an entirely new platform (not LPD) we had many problems and priority #1 was to duplicate the original systems abilities. We have now accomplished that (phase 1). Phase 2 is now working on access control to forums and a few other items on our huge laundry list. Hostboard is not like you going out and purchasing software and poof you have a forum since we house hundreds. What Hostboard does is 100% custom written by Adam who is the sites developer. Hostboard is not multiple copies of software but rather a single community running on a single piece of commercial software that has been customized for our needs. When code is written it has to work under many different circumstances thus takes time to make sure we get all our ducks in a row.

    Unfortunatly there is alot of things that went on and are going on behind the scenes that you are not privy to so it might look like we are aloof but rest assured we are on top of and very aware of not only your but other forum members concerns.

    Hopefully that answers a few questions you guys had.
    Please do not PM or e-mail me for support.
    The fastest way to get support is through our Help Desk

  7. #7
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question About Donations

    I know at one point this forum was being paid for, I personally don't care. Thats between Rock and you. I would donate money to this board if it would help things along, but I have little reason to believe it will. When the board was being paid for it went down nearly nightly there for a while. It's causing this place to die a slow death I'm afraid.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Site Administrator Team Hostboard's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2008
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    997,453
    Follows
    0
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Question About Donations

    Between Dec and Feb we made 3 server moves. First was becuase we had absolutly maxed out the old server. The next was to a soso host that could not handle the technical needs (sales over sold ability). So on to the next host... Then next was completly unplanned and under huge pressure (was told we had less then 72 hours to move prior to the server being shut off after only being there a week. Try finding a host, moving and holding a full time job, and keeping some form of sanity....all the fun in the world...). Not to mention trying to port, stabalize and develop all at the same time. Current server we are very happy with though it took us 1-2 weeks to get things configured properly so the site would run smoothly.

    Anyways bottom line of this discussion is that donations are asked for not required or necessary. Give us some time to get the next version of software developed and out as this will handle the forum access controll necessary to re-open the other forums. Then lets come back and beat Steven up for some other reasons
    Please do not PM or e-mail me for support.
    The fastest way to get support is through our Help Desk

  9. #9
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question About Donations

    I'm not beating you up, it's not my money. The fact remains this board was being paid for at one point and the quality was pitiful and still is. We all know it, regardless of the issue. I've spoke my peace, I just think it's a shame that this board is going downhill like it has. I'm not a computer guru so I'm not going to get into the server issues. Good luck with everything, I sincerly hope this site gets somwehere back to where it once was. FWIW, I have donated to another message board in the past and would donate here if the money would go toward Rock paying to keep this thing going like it was. I'm not donating with the current setup.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member starbuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    5,852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question About Donations

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Ok, now that I have tried to reply to this post 10 times and have deleted it 10 times because it did not come across correctly so please do not take this the wrong way but I will spell it...

    1. We receive no compensation for hosting your forum at this time

    .
    so If I wanted to start a forum it wouldn't cost me anything? maybe a LONESOME PINE RACEWAY forum?
    [IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •